There are private organizations and government agencies that provide support for graduate study. This support could come in the form of fellowships, scholarships, and cash grants for other activities related to pursuing an advanced degree. Visit the Center for Fellowship & Scholarship Advising to search for externally-funded opportunities.
Some of the larger awards are:
- Jacob Javits Fellowships
- National Science Foundation (NSF) Fellowships
- National Endowment for the Humanities Dissertation Grants
- NPSA-National Physical Science Consortium
Applying and Deadlines
Eligibility criteria and application deadlines vary widely; be sure to leave yourself enough time to research and apply for appropriate awards. It is best to begin your search a year prior to your enrollment. Deadlines are often between October 1 and December 31 for awards intended for the following academic year (beginning the next fall semester). These databases will help you start your search:
- The Annual Register of Grant Support and Peterson’s Grants for Graduate Study
- Syracuse University Office of Sponsored Programs (OSP)
OSP subscribes to a web-based financial support search service. This service provides award listings with descriptions of the award, monetary value, deadlines for application, eligibility criteria, and the phone number and address of each sponsor.